Sunday, March 4, 2007

Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup

This was my first experience with butternut squash, it turned out great! I separated this recipe into 4 individual tupperware bowls to take for work for lunch this week. Much better than the canned soup I usually take.


Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup:

3 cups peeled, diced butternut squash (about 1 small)

2 cups grated carrot

3/4 cup chopped onion

1 Tablespoon of butter

2 14 oz cans of low sodium-chicken broth

1/4 tsp black pepper

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

1/4 cup half and half


1. In a large covered saucepan cook squash, carrot, and onion in hot butter over medium heat about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 25-35 minutes until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.


2. Place one-third of the squash mixture in a food processor or blender. Cover and process or blend until almost smooth. Repeat with remaining squash mixture. Return all of the pureed mixture to the saucepan. Add pepper and nutmeg, bring just to boiling. Add half and half; heat through.


This recipe is from my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. They suggest garnishing with toasted pumpkin seeds.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I found your blog post by googling "butternut squash carrot soup", looked at several recipes but yours seemed simple and to match the ingredients I already had pretty well. Anyhow, I made the soup on Saturday and it turned out great- so thanks!

Unknown said...

Just made this and it was great! But with a few twists: I used a few cloves of garlic, an inch or so of fresh ginger, and added some thyme and a touch of tarragon with the nutmeg. Also, I added two small yams to the mix, which added a nice sweet taste. I don't eat dairy so I skipped the milk and just blended it all instead ... delicious! After it was all back in the pot, I doctored it a bit more with freshly ground pepper and sea salt. This is definitely one for the permanent repertoire!!

ellenm said...

Great recipe! Very simple, very flavorful. Thanks!

Goldenchild said...

Started making this soup last winter for my family and it was an instant hit. I never can find a small squash, so I add more broth and carrots and just add a bit of everything more to the ingredients. Don't pass this soup recipe by, it is AMAZING!