Thursday, October 23, 2008

Dump Cake



I have to admit I was skeptical of my husband's proclaimed love for this "cake" when we were dating in high school. He raves about some of the strangest things, but the one he asks for every birthday is his mom's famous dump cake. And after trying it, I was hooked!

After we got married, Brenda (my mother in law) graciously shared her recipe with me, and after making it, I was even more hooked! Could there be an easier dessert out there? James and I can eat an entire 9x13 of this stuff in two days, easily. 1 if we have company.

Thank you for the recipe Brenda!

Brenda's Dump Cake
Recipe shared by Brenda Behlen

1 large can of pineapple (I used the kind in juice, but you can use the syrup one too)
1 large can of cherry pie filling
1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 bag of coconut
1 stick butter

Then we dump!

1. Dump (get it!?!) the pineapple and pie filling into a greased 9x13 pan. Mix it together.
2. Dump the dry cake mix on top
3. Dump the cocnut on top of that. (I just eyeball this part, lay it on pretty thick, we do at least an inch or so covering the cake mix)
4. Slice the butter into thin pats and lay them on top of the coconut, evenly covering as much of the cake as possible.
5. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-45 minutes or until the coconut starts to brown. The butter will soak down and mix into the cake mix.

This cake is great warm or cold. We usually have to fight off the urges long enough to not burn ourselves when it comes out of the oven.

6 comments:

Susan said...

My Mom made this when I was in MI. I had not had it in forever. It was so good and sooo easy!

Virginia said...

One of my good friends who hosts just about every party we have makes this everytime but with pecans instead of coconut. YUM! and now I know how I know her secret!!

Chris said...

I LOVE dump cake! It's been years since I've made it, I might have to do it again this weekend.

AimeeB said...

Why are all of your pictures just blank red squares? Or is it just my computer?

Kristin (kekis) said...

Oh yum! Adding the ingredients to my grocery list now!

Virginia said...

what did kristin leave us? your background is the same as my header background! so fun!