Friday, August 31, 2007

Balsamic Glazed Pork Loin

I normally avoid anything with soy sauce in it, because James says he hates it. I've been wanting to try Giada De Laurentiis's Balsamic Chicken Drumettes, hoping the balsamic flavor would be strong enough to overpower the soy. Thanks to a recommendation from a friend (Thanks Sarah!) I decided to try it on the half of a pork loin I had in the back of the freezer. (Tip: Kroger has whole giant pork loins on really good sales all the time, so I buy them and cut them in half to freeze separately for two little roasts that are the perfect size for us!)

I brined the roast first, since I have a nagging fear of pork drying out. I always do this when I cook pork, and I've never had a dry pork chop or roast in my house! It makes the meat really juicy and flavorful.

Note: If brining, allow 12 hours or so for the meat to brine before putting in the marinade.


Balsamic Glazed Pork Loin
(adapted from foodtv.com)

3-4 lb whole pork loin

For Brine:
1/2 cup salt
1/2 gallon (8 cups) water
1/4 cup honey

For marinade:
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce (I used low sodium soy)
3 sprigs of rosemary
5 garlic cloves, halved

1. Dissolve salt in 1-2 cups of hot water. Add remaining cold water and honey.

2. Place pork roast in a gallon size ziploc bag, pour all of the brine over it. Seal the bag well, and place it in a shallow dish in the refrigerator for 12 hours. (2+ days is recommended for a whole pork loin).

3. Remove roast from brine, rinse (to get any remaining salt off the surface) and pat dry. Pour out brine.

4. In another gallon sized ziploc bag (I used the same one after I poured out the brine) ombine the balsamic, honey, brown sugar, soy sauce, rosemary sprigs, and garlic cloves. Shake and squeeze the contents of the bag to dissolve the honey and the brown sugar.

5. Add the roast to the bag and seal with as little air as possible.

6. Marinate for 2 hours.

7. Remove roast from marinade, do not discard the marinade.

8. Roast in a 325 degree oven for 55 minutes, or until roast reaches 160 degrees in the center.

9. Meanwhile, place the marinade in a small saucepan. Bring the marinade to a boil (in order to kill bacteria). Reduce the heat to simmer and cook over low heat until thick, about 15 minutes. Reserve.

10. In the last 10 or 15 minutes of roasting, brush reduced marinade onto pork loin. When you remove it from the oven, brush on one last coat of the glaze.

James absolutely loved this. I told him later there was soy in it and he was totally surprised! It was just as good in leftovers, and great on a cold sandwich the next day.

No comments: