Friday, August 31, 2007

Honey Wheat Bread

Well, I'm officially unemployed! :) For a few days anyway.
I quit my job yesterday, and my new one starts Tuesday, so I decided what's a stay-at-home-wife supposed to? Make bread! So I made a loaf of whole wheat (not 100% whole wheat, I wasn't brave enough yet!) I now have four kinds of flour in my house: whole wheat, all purpose, bread flour, and cake flour. I'm nuts!
It turned out pretty great!

Honey Wheat Bread
(Adapted from allrecipes.com)

INGREDIENTS
1/2 (.25 ounce) package rapid rise yeast (1 1/8 tsp)
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1/2 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons melted shortening
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole wheat flour
1-1/2+ cups bread flour
1 tablespoon melted butter + 1 tsp honey
A few tbs of oats (optional)
DIRECTIONS
1. Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup warm water.

2. Combine milk, 1/4 cup water, shortening, honey, salt and wheat flour in stand mixer bowl. Mix in yeast mixture, and let rest 15 minutes.

3. Add white flour, and process until dough forms a ball. (I had to add an extra 1/4 cup or so of flour because the dough was still really sticky at this point)

4. Knead dough with hook for 5-10 minutes. (by hand 10 minutes)

5. Place the dough in a greased bowl, and turn to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or towel. Let dough rise for 45 minutes, or until almost doubled.

6. Punch down and pound out the bubbles. Form into a loaf, and place in a greased 9x5 inch bread pans and cover loosely with plastic wrap or towel. Let rise in a warm area until doubled; second rise should take about 30 minutes.

7. Place a small pan of water on the bottom shelf of the oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

8. Right before placing it into the oven, brush the top with the honey butter and sprinkle with oats (the oats are just pretty, they're totally not necessary)

9. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until tops are dark golden brown. Brush a second coat of honey butter on top while still warm. Slice when cool.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Hello - you've been tagged. Post a message with 8 facts about yourself and then tag 8 more people. See my blog for details.

Becky said...

wow - that looks and sounds good, I just might have to add it to my list of recipes to try!

Sophia said...

I liked your cheesy quinoa recipe! I am mentioning this because I hope that you are having some fun with a greater variety of grains and flours now!