Saturday, March 22, 2008

Balcony Herb Garden

My newest adventure, or my "babies" as James has taken to calling them are my herb plants on the balcony. I find myself wanting fresh basil ALL the time, especially as we get into summer, and I got two full plants for the same price as a small semi-fresh package from the grocery store!
The lady at the nursery where I got the seedlings had only one piece of advice "FULL sun, all the time!" So I installed this window box (from walmart) over the side of the balcony. It's really my first experience growing anything, so we'll see how long I can keep them alive! I'm watering every day. I read that you can skip a day with basil, but they instantly got wilty and sad the day I tried skipping.

So far I've got basil:
Rosemary:



Cilantro:
and some thyme that I didn't a great picture of.

5 comments:

Kristin Anderson said...

MMmmmm! I love fresh basil! Great idea to hang it from the balcony-- that is one of the things I'm looking forward to now that we have a house.... yeah for herb gardens!

Anonymous said...

I just bought some basil and I'm still trying to figure out where to plant it! I'm glad to know you're having a lot of success with it!

Kristin (kekis) said...

You go girl! We've been talking about planting some as well. All of those grow like crazy!!!

Jess said...

I just bought a rosemary "baby" bush...and it's been fun watching it grow!

Anonymous said...

Basil will take over, you'll be WISHING for recipes to use it in!