Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Wilton Course 1, Class 1


Last night I started my first Wilton cake decorating course!

I've planned to do this forever, my mom even took these classes when we were little and she made the most amazing, beautiful birthday cakes for us. I'm taking it with my friend Natalie, and I've already learned a lot even though we didn't even touch a cake last night!

On night one we went through the basics of decorating, supplies, etc. Our teacher is this fabulously eccentric woman who has been decorating for years.

I bought the book & basic supply kit before we started the class. It includes a couple of bags, all the tips needed for the class, a spatula, brush, couplers, and a practice board.
I also bought a can of merengue powder to make icing and some colors that I used last week on my cupcake bites.

The extras that I'm going to purchase for the class (but aren't things you HAVE to purchase)
-a 3 inch deep round cake pan. I've always used 2 1nch deep pans, but our teacher recommended this one, and it's fairly inexpensive, especially with a coupon!
-a cake leveler. Less than $5, and I'm OVER using a serrated knife
-cardboard cake circles to transport my cakes
-a cake carrier. I have to bring my cakes to work with me, and I think this is a worthwhile investment!
-extra bags and couplers. The kit comes with 2 of each, but since I want like 4 colors of icing for my first cake, I'm going to grab a few more.

Next week, I vow to post pictures of my cake no matter how terrible it looks!
I love that I have an excuse to make an entire cake, so I'm thinking of exciting cake+filling combos.
I'm thinking either lemon cake w/fruit filling or chocolate cake with a mocha filling.

3 comments:

AimeeB said...

I am SO jealous! I want to have time to learn how to do this!! I bought cake decorating stuff a while ago and attempted a bit with no course on a birthday cake for Gerald like 3 years ago. I don't have bags though -- I have a plastic cylinder that the tips fit on and I've never used it since because it's so uncomfortable to work with. And I actually bought a cake leveler about 4 years ago. AND IT'S STILL IN THE PACKAGE. Oh dear.

Kelly said...

How fun! I can't wait to see pics.

Jess said...

I vote for the lemon cake...I'm all over lemon right now. Can't wait to see how your first cake turns out...how fun!